Vision: Bearcat C.L.A.W.S.
· Career Development - Prepare Lander University student-athletes for professional success.
· Leadership Development – provide education and training for student athletes to assist with the transition to life after college sports and to foster the growth of the next generation of leaders.
· Academic Excellence - Provide resources and support for degree completion.
· Welfare – continued focus on gender equity, cultural diversity, health, wellness and safety of student athletes
· Service - Emphasize and provide opportunities for involvement in the Lander University and local communities.
Our mission is being fulfilled and our vision is being implemented through our Bearcat CLAWS programming focused on:
· Academic Success and Services
- Academic Advising - Student-athletes are assisted with registration by our FAR, Ms. Susan Going. The primary emphasis of the academic advising is to assist student-athletes in achieving their personal goals by ensuring they earn a degree of their choice that prepares them for the career field or graduate school, while maintaining NCAA eligibility and staying on track to graduate.
- Athletic Success Center- Athletics Partnership - The Lander University Academic Success Center and the Athletic Department work continuously to determine how our partnership can meet the needs of our student athletes, particularly in terms of being flexible with tutoring times that do no not conflict with games and/or practice. In November 2017, we ended the semester by launching a pilot program that offered our student athletes the opportunity to reach tutors, Monday –Thursday from 8pm-11pm through their last weeks of classes and final exams.
- Get involved: http://landerbearcats.com/Alumni_C.L.A.W.S.
· Professional and Career Development
We offer several programs and services that takes our student-athletes through several layers of preparedness with the goal that by their graduation date they will be a professional who is career or graduate school ready. These programs and services include:
- Required Etiquette Dinners for juniors and seniors
- One-on-One Resume’ Development
- One-on-One Graduate School Preparation
- Linkedin Trainings
- Interview Preparation
Also, make sure you visit the Lander Career Services: http://www.lander.edu/sites/career-services
· Leadership and Personal Development
- One Love Foundation Our Department, has partnered with the One Love Foundation to help prevent relationship violence and inspire student-athletes to be part of a movement for social change. SAAC student athletes, Greek Student Leaders and Club Sports Presidents will go through training to serve as discussion leaders for a group of peers relating to the film “Escalation”. The goal is to help students recognize signs of relationship violence and understand how action can help diffuse the situation. Those who want to become further involved will then be trained to become facilitators and assist with facilitating trainings for athletic teams, sororities, fraternities and club sport teams.
· Community Outreach + Engagement
Lander Athletics has partnered with Greenwood District 50 for their morning basketball programs. Members of the Lander men and women's basketball teams joined students at Rice Elementary School to help set up and oversee basketball games before the start of the school days.
Facebook: Lander University Bearcat CLAWS– Student Athlete Success